In a new series, which we'll alternate with our instrument breakdowns, we provide five tips for listening to a certain style of music. Today's episode is on Baroque music, an era that included some of the most famous and well-respected composers, including J.S. Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, and others!
1. Distinguishing between sacred and secular music (4:25)
2. Finding emotional nuance in baroque music (9:02)
3. Hearing simple forms and mapping (18:28)
4. Distinguishing between modern and historically-informed performance (23:45)
5. Noticing ornamentation and virtuosity (30:53)